It’s that time of year again where we all look back on the past year and think “shoulda, coulda, woulda.”
So, we wipe the slate clean for the new year and make a New Year’s resolution. We all have them…..lose weight, exercise more, stop smoking, pay off debt or simply be a better freiend or spouse…..just to name a few of the top resolutions.
Your Indianapolis chiropractor can offer a few tips on how to accomplish some of these goals.
If you goal in 2012 is to lose a few pounds or a lot, here a few ideas to help you get started and realize your weight loss goal.
1. Personalize your goals – consider your own personal fitness level, your health, your available time and motivation
2. Aim for realistic weight loss – lose weight slowly. That doesn’t sound very appealing but the average person should only lose 1-2 pounds a week. Try and burn 500-1,000 calories more than you take in and youwill noice this weight loss and keep it off.
3. Focus on the process – make the most of the process of losing weight rather than the end result. Focus on changing daily behavior and habits rather than a set number of pounds lost or your ideal goal weight.
4. Think short term – consider weight loss on a daily basis. Setting a long term goal can be discouraging. Short term is a stepping stone for a long term goal.
5. Write it down – Write down what foods you eat daily and be honest. You may be in for a few surprises.
6. Pick a date – Decide when to start and stick to it. Consider work or school commitments, vacation schedule or any prior commitments that might sabotage your weight loss plan.
7. Start small – Smaller goals are easier to obtain and easier to stick to.
8. Setbacks – accept that there will be setbacks. Don’t stress over that piece of cake at the office party.
9. Evaluate weekly – weigh yourself weekly, not daily. Many people weight themselves daily and don’t see enough progress and tend to get discouraged.
10. Adjust goals – if you find you can’t stick to a particular diet or exercise regimen, then alter it accordingly. Find what works best for you.
An important part of any weight loss program and a common resolution is to begin an exercise program. Your Indianapolis chiropractor has a few suggestions for those that maybe haven’t laced up those sneakers in awhile.
1. Start slow – don’t start out planning to run a marathon. If you haven’t exercised in awhile, begin exercising in small steps. Don’t forget to warm-up and cool-down.
2. Set goals – compose 3 goals for yourself and post these on your fridge or mirror. It can be a great motivator
3. Trainer – if it’s financiallly feasible, enlist the help of a trainer who is qualified, experienced and can communicate with yhou especially if you are just starting out.
4. Buddy – exercise with a friend. It is always easier to stick to an exercise regimen if you have someone to share it with and it can be a lot more fun.
5. Chiropractor – always see a medical professional before starting any new exercise program. They can offer many tips and advice on what might work best for you.
One last New Year’s resolution that is always a good idea is to make an appointment at the Meridian Chiropractic Clinic for a check-up. If it’s been a few months or even years, call us. We might not be able to help you pay off a debt or get along better with your mother-in-law, but we can help get your year off to a great start.