1. Identify the cause; nearly all of the treatments people receive for back pain only focus on the symptoms and health care professionals zoom in on only the problem area. The real key in eliminating back pain is to find out exactly what’s causing the problem… and sometimes it’s not even the back!
2. Address both the cause and the symptom, the best approach is a combination of treating the symptoms for pain relief while also addressing the underlying cause.
3. Be aware, many people suffering from back pain are not in tune with their bodies and during their treatment they do not realize what is working and what is not. In order to achieve long-term relief you have to understand how your body works, what’s causing the problem, and what changes have to be made to correct it.
4. Consistent Focused Action – achieving success in anything requires consistency and focused action. Most people with back pain won’t make the time to work on their problem each day… instead they take pain killers which mask the pain and allow them to cause more damage while they continue with their life.
5. Don’t do what doesn’t work – we already know that most traditional treatments for back pain don’t work…. why waste your time, energy, and money? The real key to eliminating back pain is to identify the true cause of the pain and then address it with a combination of treatments to treat both the cause and symptoms. Over 80% of all back pain is caused by muscle imbalances… NOT a lack of pain killers or surgery! Find out what’s going on in your body and take action.
6. The proof is in the result- Is what you are doing to address your pain making it go away and stay away. In my Indianapolis chiropractic office, after we have improved a patient enough that they feel good, I give them physical assignments. Test it. Gently. Have we really made an improvement? The proof of efficacy is in the outcome.